Sunday 18 May 2008

Travelling Hatter...

After last week- this week just breezed by!
Back to my usual amount of cakes to do- I had a great week- with a couple of really fun designs!
Once again I had my mum with me to help deliver! We had a 7 hour round trip delivering cakes over Brisbane- all the way up to Maroochydore!
It was all about the Mad hatter this week.
The first design was a three tier Square mad hatter- in a Black Red and White Theme.
To say this cake was Bold- was an understatement. Left to my own devices with the final design- I chose Black sugar bows for the mid tier- as this is what the clients were using throughout their theme. They also had a cricket theme- so the groom cartoon character was resting on a cricket bat- whilst the Bride was holding a cricket ball.


The base tier has a varied sized stripe theme, and the top was covered in mixed sized Swarovski Crystal- in Clear Black and Red- of Course. All finished off the the couple's name across the top tier! Voila!

The Next cake was a Topsy Turvy design- with fresh flowers between the tiers.
This cake was a late addition to my baking Schedule- booked a mere two weeks ago.
In this style of cake- the actual tiers are not carved to make the "wonky" shape- rather the filler between the tiers is on an angle- to support this design.


With Black White silver and Dusty pinks the theme, this cake was fun- yet elegant.
Although I had had many cakes at the Pacific Harbour Golf Club- on Bribie Island_ this is the Very first time I have actually delivered a cake there myself- and can I say- this is one great looking golf club. Chic and Modern, with wonderful landscaping, and not to mention friendly staff too!
This cake certainly caused some intrigue- as quite a few staff came by to check it out as I set it all up!

Last But not least is a cake- that I had total control of the design!This cake was for a very dear friend of mines Nono's ( Italian Grandfather) 80th Birthday!
He absolutely loves his gardening- so with that theme, and of course a rather large guest list to feed, I came up with the design below.

The base "grass" layer is a hazelnut and Dark chocolate cake, with a cute picket fence detail around the sides.


The top is a terracotta pot with a cherry tomato and Basil plant! Yes I do need to improve on the basil- But hopefully the guests can guess what it is!

In Two short days I will find out how I fared in this years ABIA Awards. The Awards are being held on Tuesday night at the Royal on the Park.
I was in two minds whether or not to attend this year- but right at the last minute before the cut off I decided to go! I am up against some fantastic decorators- once again- so I will be sure to post the final results on Wednesday!- so Fingers Crossed!

No comments: