Sunday 13 April 2008

Big Beginnings........



This week just flew by!
It isn't often that I get the opportunity to make engagement cakes- as I am usually fully booked- but this week I had the chance to create not one- but two engagement cakes!
The first was a variation if the chocolate box design I created a few years back (originally for my Father in Laws Birthday). Encased in a solid chocolate box, complete with chocolate ribbons and tag- this cake featured lime green and dark chocolate hearts set into white chocolate, topped off with lime and dark chocolate ribbons. The colour combination looked great!

The next engagement cake was a last minute addition to my baking list. This couple was let down by their original supplier- after paying a deposit for their cupcakes, when the Bride to Be went to finalise the details- the company decided that they no longer "wanted" to do their order! HOW RUDE! Even though I was at my limit- I was more than pleased to be able to help this couple with their request. Coconut white chocolate mud cupcakes iced in vanilla butter cream with a Chocolate sugar heart, and dark chocolate mud cupcakes with chocolate butter cream and an ivory sugar heart! Together it looked great!

This week I did a couple of really BIG cakes.
The first is definitely in line with current cake fashion. Four tiers- each tier slightly offset from the one underneath, with smooth Ivory plastic icing, and Mushroom pink sugar roses ( to match the Bridesmaids dresses). This cake weighed a tonne! Even my Husband strained to carry it! Luckily for us- the XXXX Ale house had a lift to get the cake upstairs!



The next cake had 6 cakes inside. With each tier measuring around 18cm high- this cake was filled with butter cream, and iced in butter cream, with a soft palette finish.
Fresh roses and orchids to decorated the cake- leaving a soft pretty "Big Wedding" style cake!



A reminder that Voting is still open for the 2008 QLD ABIA awards- so If you have been a past wedding client, and would like to vote for your suppliers- and go into the draw to win a Luxury Hinterland Retreat- then click on this link!

No comments: