Saturday 5 January 2008

Hard Act to Follow!

Well, as far as starts to a year goes- Mine has been Fantastic! For almost 12 months I have been waiting to create this weeks (even Possibly this years) favourite cake!
The cake was made for a couple, both who work in the computer/ IT industry. When they came to me and asked if I could create a themed cake, that suited not only their personalities, but their jobs- I couldn't have been more excited! I had seen on the web- a picture if a fantastic cake, made by an American Baker- that was theme "Super Mario". When I suggested this design to them, they had to have it- with their own special touches- of course!
I would love to say that I thought this design up all on my own, but with a bit of inspiration, from the original design, along with changes from the clients, together we created an awesome jaw dropping design.
Each tier of the cake represented either a level, or a character from Nintendo's Super Mario Game. With the base tier (Hazelnut Mud) decorated to resemble one of the base blue levels, complete with coins, and clouds- then the mid tier (white Macadamia Mud)- representing an orange level (and tying in with the wedding colour theme) complete with pipes and jumping blocks, then the top was a giant Mushroom character( white Mud), with Plastic Mario and Princess figurines in top! Even the evil "Venus fly trap" plants made an appearance in the design.


Getting the figurines wasn't as easy as one may think! First of all I bought a set off eBay- which when they arrived (from Hong Kong- were half the size they were described to be, and way too small for the design. So then the Bride found some for the top, and unable to get a matching pair, even after having friends visit both the Nintendo world in New York and Japan!
In the end- this Fun themed cake design fit in with the wedding! Held at Hillstone St Lucia, the couple had part of the room set up as an Arcade, complete with Games for their guests to enjoy- even a Wii station too!
The table center pieces even featured figurines from well known games!
This cake has, by far, made my week! I hope that my clients enjoyed it as much as I did making it for them!
Congratulations Athene and Wade!

P.s. Don't forget to Vote for YOUR favourite design of 2007!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello Sarah-Jane,

Athene here! The week has passed by in a blur and I haven't had time to thank you so much for the cake! It was EVERYTHING I imagined it would be and more. I was so bowled over when I saw it in person. Wade was very happy with it as well.

Thank you so much for being so nice and so fun to talk to! I was so relaxed whenever I talked to you and never had any hesitations of consulting you when I needed. Your professional and uber friendly service is very much appreciated by this frazzled bride. :)

Sincerely,
Athene

Anonymous said...

I was pointed to this blog (and this cake) by someone who works with the couple who got married. Amazing cake! I'm blown away, it's beautiful.

I'll have to keep you in mind for the future. =)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.