Sunday 14 October 2007

Transfer and Refer...




This week was one where I was able to create cakes for a special long time client. I actually had two "referral" clients this week- one who was referred to me by an old work colleague and friend (Thank you Grant!) and another was for a lovely couple, who's family I first made a cake for around 7 or so years ago. Since then I have been lucky enough to make more than a handful of special occasion cakes for their family!
But Yesterday it was Donna and Justin's turn to get married! I was so happy to create a chocolate three tier cake, complete with fresh flowers for their wedding day! The smell of the shaved Belgian Couveture Chocolate was to die for!

The next cake was for a lovely bride- who I only met when she came to collect her cake. Usually I deliver more than 95% of my cakes, but this one was out towards Marburg- so the Bride collected it on her way out to the venue. Having never met her before, and only ever communicating via email- I always get little butterflies wondering if the cake is exactly what my clients were after- but he huge smile and overwhelming "Thank You" when she saw the cake for the first time reassured me that we were on the same wavelength- for design!





I also had two other cakes- that were transported afar this week. One to Hamilton Island- Cupcakes- which arrived safely- for a Beach wedding on Friday! The other was individual cakes that were taken to the beautiful Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island. Of all the cakes to be transporting afar- it was unusual that both were cupcake style cakes!

By yesterday I only had two cakes left to deliver- which should have been an easy day- but the last cake for the week was a fabulous three tier Chocolate Gateaux. Rich chocolate sponge layered with a Chocolate Mousse, finished with a White Chocolate Marquise, then surrounded with chocolate chards, and finished with chocolate scrolls and fresh gerbera's- are you drooling yet????



I had to actually assemble the cake at the venue. Because of its delicate nature, the light textured cake did not have enough support to attempt transporting it in one piece- without disaster! Having arranged for the Air conditioning to be cranking when I arrived- The staff were surprised to watch me put the cakes together! The three cakes were transported "bare" without their chocolate decorations, so with my bag of white chocolate marquise in one hand, and my wonderful husband passing me the chocolate chards in the other, I layered and attached the cake to complete the design. With less than an hour until the reception began- the cake was safely in place, awaiting for the Bride and Groom to make the first incision!
Being able to provide my clients with wonderful designs, and alternatives to the traditional fruit cake- is what makes this job so great!

The week ahead is another big one! Wedding Season is in Full swing!!!

No comments: