Monday 26 October 2009

Bring on the October cakes!!



The First weekend in October was a big one for sure!
And by the end of this week (which completes the month of Octobers cakes) I will have completed no less than 40 commissioned cakes- plus wedding expo cakes, Oncology Children's department cupcakes and Two family cakes! Seriously some times I wonder how on earth I actually do it!

Anyway- the first weekend of October I once again had some awesome clients who chose some really funky cakes!
I also had my 3 year old niece- Scarlett- come to stay with us for the weekend and go on my long delivery run on the Saturday with me. Scarlett was very excited to deliver the " Wedding cakes" and had her own my little pony- complete with its own mini three tier wedding cake on hand. so after loading the car up with the cakes- snacks for Scarlett and bottles of water for everyone to survive the super hot day- we were off!
First stop for the day was Brett's Wharf- and like i mentioned in a recent post about flexibility- this cake design was changed less then 3 weeks out from the wedding- to what I an only describe as a truly funky totally awesome cake!
This is a replica of a design from a US cake maker- originally with extended tiers- but my clients wanted to only have regular height tiers. I loved the extended tiers and toyed with the prospect of just making it as per image- but then the thought of- " What if they don't like the high tiers?" came over me and so I just baked high regular tiers. I love love love this cake!
Ivory iced with cut black dots over the tiers.

Each dot had to be cut to match the height and circumference of the tiers. A sugar flat bow on top and Voila! This groovy cake emerged!

Our Next stop was Redcliffe!
Cupcakes to be set up at the Bayview hotel. After ignoring Navmans directions and a quick call to the hotel itself we found it and delivered the cake.
The room was being set up by Aimee's sister- gorgeous and fresh looking with the blue and white throughout the room.

Being only three Scarlett really loved pointing out all of the "pretty" things at the wedding- and was such a good girl to stand well clear of the wedding cake and not touch while Aunty Sar set up.

Despite the expression on her face- she was really loving it-especially seeing as though this function room faced the Beach and she could tell everyone about the ocean and the wildlife!
After Redcliffe we back tracked to Brisbane to set up at Snug Harbour ( now known as "The Landing").
I go to Snug harbour reasonably regularly- at least 25 cakes there a year. But this time was the first time I met one of their new coordinators- which was great.
I had a cake for the River room- I provided a three tier plain iced cake- and the Bride and Groom organised the flowers through their florist.
I was grossly disappointed to see that not only were the flowers wilted and bruised- they also were not prepared correctly for placement onto a cake. I encourage my couples- when using fresh flowers- to have their florist provide the matching blooms for the cake. Along with instructions on how to have the blooms prepared to be safely placed onto the cake.
Unfortunately these flowers were not to that standard at all.
This was not the Bride and grooms fault, and I felt terrible leaving a cake there that was so not up to my regular standard. When guests are at a wedding they ask- "who made your cake??" this means that the poor quality flowers on the cake are then coupled as my cake- and reflects on me and my product. After stewing over the poor quality flowers and how they looked on the cake over the weekend- I decided to call the wedding planner to find out who the florist was so that I could contact them to convey my disappointment. Unfortunately the florist on the other end of the phone didn't really see the concern and never had the owner of the business contact me. Although she probably saw me as a whinging vendor- I personally would expect feedback from any of my fellow vendors should they believe the quality or standard of my product was below par.


I hope that how I felt about the cakes overall appearance wasn't shared by the Bride and Groom and that they enjoyed their day.
After the anxiety of the above cake- I headed to The new room at Vino's for possibly the cutest cake of the week!
I actually was quite chuffed with this cake. My husband had walked into my cake room and said "is this cake for a drag racer??" Yes it was! My "Christmas tree" light stand must have looked somewhat like the real thing!

Sam and John were such a lovely coupe when I met them. they took the basic deign of thier cake from a cake I had made for an engagement last December- and improved on it to fit them!
On top of the cake was the figures of Sam and John, and their gorgeous Flower girl. The little dress on the flower girl was just beautiful! Sam's Steel Silver gown was also just divine! John- in his action pose with his steering wheel in hand and helmet on was also just too cute!


The ceremony and wedding were all held at the same place- Vino's now has the room that was originally a Macca's - then a restaurant- tehn a developemen office- now a beautiful floor to ceiling glass room with uninterrupted views of teh river and Story Bridge!


Anne Campbell Officiated the ceremony- where Sam and John read their Vows from their iPhones- an in joke- and Anne called me during the week to see if I could Squeeze in two iPhones into the cake. I felt a bit unsure at first- but Anne personally knew the couple and how I subtly added the phones no one would know unless they were pointed out.
Sam was uber excited with the whole cake and doubly impressed with the mini iPhone additions.
Congratulations to you both!

On Sunday I had a delivery again at Snug harbour- no photo as yet though :(
Then another cake at Melange cafe in Roma Street Parklands.

A classic three tier cake with Burgundy sugar roses!
!

I also sent some mini cakes down to the Hyatt at Sanctuary cove.
Each little fruit cake was finished with a palette royal icing- and a personalised ribbon around the base.


At the venue fresh orchids were placed amongst the cakes to finish it off!


The personalised ribbon was great and came from a local company at Underwood. A fabulous idea for the bomboniere for sure.

Last but not least- I sent a cake down on the plane to Sydney for my Mum's baby Brothers 20th Wedding anniversary! I was only 12 when they got married and whoa- the fashion and my hairdo that was almost mullet like was definitely something that shouldn't be shared!


Dee and Phil had a renewal of their vows and reception at home to celebrate! Congratulations guys- how time flies- and how much sexier do we look now!!

Congratulations to all of my couples!!!
Thanks for Reading
SJ

















No comments: