Friday 11 September 2009

First Weekend of Spring

I cannot believe how fast this year has flown by. It is all head down bum up for the next few months getting through wedding season- and at the other end is Xmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well with Spring comes some great flower cakes. this first one had Lilies Lissianthus and Hyacinth, a colourful bouquet for an equally elegant design.

With draped icing across the tiers, and differing shades of purples- this cake really was a great start to Spring!

What seems to be a design that is asked to be replicated over and over again- this classic striped overlay design with sugar roses on the top tier is just beautiful. This design is not my original design- I believe the image came from a UK website- with the roses adapted to suit this particular wedding.


I actually had a fellow decorator over here yesterday (Hello KVW;) ) and as we were going through images of my past cakes she mentioned how many she too had made- funny how we all get asked to make very similar cakes.

I had my husband deliver the next cake for me- it was sent out to Deagon- while I headed in the other direction.

Adapted from a cake I made a few years back- draped with icing and blush centered sugar roses- complete with a set of figurines ( with the bride on the grooms lap) this cake was everything "pretty" could be!

I always like to include as much detail as possible when making the figurines- and when Anneke sent me a picture of her "bling" hair clip- I just had to include it! I love my disco glitter- it is sooooo Sparkly!!!!

If you read my previous post you would know that I have allot of figurines to make this wedding season- I had four sets last weekend, and seeing all the heads that are drying in my cake room- with their respective names marked beside them is a little freaky heheh!
This cake was for a Friday wedding- I had done this design before, in choocolate and Ivory- but I think the black and white takes the cake!


The sweet Red headed bride and her bald groom looked adorable!

I still had more toppers to place onto cakes, and the next one I LOVED!!!! The brides gown- it had a massive halter neck that was layers of frill- I can only imagine how stunning she would have been in real life. Her groom was from Papua New Guinea, with a gorgeous brown complexion- and I find it strange that many couples ask if I can make different skin colours- Of Course I can!!

Each couple is made to order- right down to the outfits and height differences. The only "problem" I have with the brown skin is that I start to think I have made them like the people in the Cadbury add- and want to take a little bite out fo their chocolate face :))

The last little coupe for the week was actually for the Daughter of one of my first Chefs- when I was an apprentice. I hastened to ask when I met Julie whether her dad was my old chef ( the surname is what got me) and Yes he was! Julie and Nathan had a white and bright orange theme- held in the Victoria Park Marquee- with almost all white room and touches of the Orange- it looked gorgeous! Nathan is a Police officer ( as you can hopefully see) and my baby sister Alex accused me ;) of making him too buff- but he really is in real life!

Another smooth headed groom- so cute! The angle of this shot actually looks like the toppers are about the same height- but really Julie only stands as high as Nathan's Shoulders- and their toppers stood the same.

I sent another cake out to Mt Mee this weekend- with roses in the same colour as the Bridesmaids dresses. This cake was warm and romantic- and the colouring of the roses should have fit in to the reception like a glove!

I have sent so many cakes out to the Ocean View Estate at Mt Mee- but and yet to deliver on personally- maybe one day!

I had 2 weddings on Sunday- which was also Fathers day- and also the day I had a Lindy Smith Workshop. So My every trusty husband Steve had his day planned by me to set up and deliver the cakes.
One wasn't "exactly" a cake- it was a tower of fudge set to be shaped like a tiered cake. Erin and Scott chose the Fudge "tree" as their "cake" as they held an afternoon tea reception.

With a choice of Milk chocolate or Dark chocolate Fudge- this creamy rich and ever so indulgent little morsel is just divine! Luckily- for my waistline- I don't have to make many of these- the calorie count is unimaginable per slice!

Well that was the first weekend of Spring- Soooo many more cakes to go.
My next blog will be all about the Lindy Workshops- Stay tuned- thanks for reading
SJ




3 comments:

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

Hi there!
I made my very first "Sarah-Jane inspired cake" This weekend!
I tried to send you an email to check it out, but it bounced back to me.....
here is the link..
http://thatsmycakeblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/red-silver-black.html

Whint said...

Thankyou Sarah for my beautiful cake complete with bling :) There were many wonderful comments.... tasted divine and looked just as good!
Anneke

Sarah-Jane said...

Thank You Anneke! Congratulations- I hope your wedding was just perfect!