Saturday 18 July 2009

Back in June......

Ok- so I am a little teeny bit behind with my blogging, between having a busy June ( no rest for the wicked) and then a short break- finalising my new website, and now getting ready to start work again- it seems that my blogging has been left a bit behind. But never fear- I have sat down to finish off June and catch you all up with my world of cake!

Back in the week ending the 14th June- I ad a really fun cake to make.A three tier Luggage stack- that had not only a Bride and Groom on top (holding Dumbbells- as the couple met at the Gym) But it also had a figurine of the couples dog Huxley- the cutest Turner and Hooch dog you have ever seen!



The cake itself was iced in an Ivory plastic icing- with silver detail on the buckles ad a bling Luggage tag at the base.

I also had my first ever trip out to Brookwater Golf club! While I was starting to think "Are we there yet?" after a long time in traffic as well as taking a drive for the first time- it was well worth the wait!

I replicated the "fresh Bride" design form last December for Natasha and Benjamin's wedding- and fell in love all over again!
Each little piped pearl, the subtle luster and the Gorgeous Roses- just divine!

The next weekend I had two cakes I just adored.
The First Cake was for a couple I never got to meet. Renee had organised the entire wedding from interstate. As a Surprise to her new groom (Michael) She had organised a "special" set of personalised toppers for the cake.

Now Renee had a gorgeous gown, and I had more than a few raised eyebrows when I delivered the cake- complete with cartoon bride- and a Monkey Groom.
Michael has the nickname "Monkey" amongst his friends and family, (and Renee correct me if I tell the tale incorrectly) after attempting to teach a friends one year old to say "Uncle Mikey". Aptly named by Renee- The "Monkey and Me" topper certainly was a talking point for both the venue staff and the guests in the night.


Through the wonders of Facebook- I was able to see How gorgeous both Renee and Michael looked on their wedding day- thanks to an image from the Vivacious Anne Campbell- their brilliant celebrant! Michael looked nothing like the cute monkey I had made though ;)) LOL!
I was delighted to hear that Renee and Michael Loved the cake- both inside and out the very next day! Congratulations to you both- Sorry we never met in person- and all the very best for the year ahead.

The weekend of the 20th/21st June was not over with the cake above- I had another cake for Snug Harbour on Sunday.
Although I have done more than a few of this striped overlay design in the past month or so- I really loved the delicate Orchids and Monogram that was on this design.
I am vigilant when it comes to reconfirming every detail with each of my cake orders. Because I allow the flexibility to change your mind, going back through each and every email I receive from a client and checking the instructions/requests off against the order sheet is imperative for smooth sailing. So when I had Written on the order Purple orchids- but had an email with Pink written on it- I called the Bride before I ordered the blooms - Just to be sure.
Pink it was! However- During my appointments on the Saturday Morning I received a call from the Bride asking me to please call her ASAP. She sounded a but upset and frazzled. I called her straight away to hear that she had just collected her Bouquets and would it be possible to now change from Pink orchids to Purple ones. The Bouquets had come in in the wrong colour orchids!

I am a sucker at the flower market- and nearly always treat myself to some fresh blooms when I am there collecting my orders for the week- just by chance I saw the most gorgeous velvet like purple orchids- that I "Just had to have!". Having just been on display in my home for about 14 hours- I offered these to Nadine instead of the pale pink ones- Problem solvered! I was glad to be able to create one less "stress" for the wedding day!

Well after Delivering the cake to Snug Harbour- I took my mum, my Nana, My MIL and My Grandmother in Law all up to Mt Tambourine for High Tea. The weather was pitiful to say the least. Allot of fog, cold winds and rain rain rain! I had read mountains of glowing reviews for the tea house, and had waited almost 4 weeks to get a booking. To say we were disappointed was an understatement. Whilst I could not fault the food- the service was appalling. We had to ask for Tea- The food was served before we were even given our tea ( by at least 15 minutes) no one cam to ask up if we wanted more tea/water etc....As it was raining buckets outside- a group that arrived 5 minutes before their allotted time was told to stand outside (no cover) as they "weren't ready" for them yet! and to top things off I was reading through their menu at the end of the high tea ( I had gone up to the desk and collected it myself as there was NO ONE in the tea room)- to my astonishment one of the staff members came and ripped the menu out of my hands and told me that I cannot read it! I was flabbergasted.
I don't believe this is the place to name and shame- but I will certainly be using my consumer powers and not going there again.
What began as a lovely day with my mothers and grandmothers ended with a slight sour taste in our mouths. We enjoyed the each others company, however the rude and unprofessional staff at the tea house left us with negative conversation for the hour drive home.

Any Brisbane High tea places you can recommend?





1 comment:

Shellsibelle said...

There is a nice one at Clayfield called High Societea :]